The Ancient Burying Ground Association received a $20,000 matching grant from the State Historic Preservation Office to engage two consultants to create two important planning documents. This project will help guide the ABG and the City of Hartford, Parks Department to better care for and be responsible stewards of this historic site.
The Historic Landscape Preservation Plan produced a report that includes the following:
• An assessment of the resource’s current, existing conditions including a summary
• An action list regarding landscape features and materials and current or future failure of
• Prioritized list of recommendations for the appropriate treatment of deteriorated historic elements excluding gravestones; and
• Cost estimates and/or a proposed budget in the report.
The Historic Gravestone Conservation Assessment Plan is the final report that includes the following:
• A condition assessment of 25 tablestone grave markers (see below);
• Recommended conservation treatments for each one;
• Cost estimates for each grave marker; and
• A prioritized plan to conserve the grave markers in three phases (multi-year).
The projects will be done in accordance with the Secretary of the Interior Standards for the treatment of historic properties and the procedures of the Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD), State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO), State of