The Ancient Burying Ground Association, Inc. (ABGA) is committed to the preservation and conservation of the oldest-surviving colonial site in downtown Hartford, Connecticut.
Our success is dependent on your support as we continue the hard work of preserving this special place.
Donate online here >>
The ABGA is celebrating this past season of successful educational programs, tours, and activities. Our achievements include:
- Tom Elmore of Elmore Design Collaborative, LLC created the Historic Landscape Preservation Plan and Francis Miller of Conserve ART LLC created the Historic Gravestone Conservation Assessment Plan. These plans, funded by The State Historic Preservation Office, will guide the ABGA’s future projects and planning;
- Funding from CT Humanities helped the ABGA commission new research by Dr. Katherine Hermes, Telling New Stories: Ties to the West Indies and Women’s History. Hermes is the publisher of Connecticut Explored magazine, a non-profit history publication and media / publicity partner;
- Telling New Stories is now accessible on our website featuring two online exhibitions with a StoryMap of Hartford’s ties to the Caribbean and diverse stories from women’s history;
- ABGA presented 27 public programs that served over 300 people including private descendants’ tours, guided tours, CT Open House Day, Scavenger Hunts, and lectures;
- Since last spring, over 5,000 visitors have accessed our website to find more information on the ABGA’s history, online exhibitions, and a photo database, Carved in Stone;
- Fostered community partnerships with organizations including the Old State House, Wadsworth Atheneum, Center Church, and the 1636 Heritage Partnership;
- Conducted a Geophysical Study using groundbreaking technology to evaluate both above and below ground conditions and anomalies using LiDAR, GPR, and EM Terrain Connectivity Measurements; and
- Developing a new brochure in anticipation of America 250 featuring Revolutionary War history, funded by The Society of the Cincinnati.
President, Ancient Burying Ground Association
Become a Member – Join us today!
Membership is only $25 and helps to support the work of caring for the Ancient Burying Ground and creating educational tours, programs, and research. Become a Member here >>
Your donation will help us to continue our important work of preserving the Ancient Burying Ground, providing access to research, and presenting educational programs. Gifts in any amount, large or small, make a difference!
Membership and Donations by check are accepted through the mail:
P.O. Box 347
Hartford CT 06141-0347
For information on bequests, or donations of stock to the ABGA, please contact us.