The gates on Main Street and Gold Street are open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day, except major holidays and inclement weather. Admission is free.
The Ancient Burying Ground is in downtown Hartford, at the corner of Main Street and Gold Street behind the First Church of Christ. It is less than a mile from the intersection of Interstate 91 and Interstate 84.
Metered on-street parking is available on Main Street and Gold Street. Parking is free on Saturday and Sunday. Garage parking is available on Pearl Street.
The Ancient Burying Ground is wheelchair accessible. Please call ahead to make sure that the appropriate gate is open (860) 337-1640.
Regulations for visitors:
- Keep the burying ground clean!
- No gravestone rubbings (they can damage the stones)
- Do not sit on the gravestones
- No dogs
- No alcohol, illegal drugs, fires, firearms, or fireworks
- No loud music or disturbances
- No planting or removal of any landscaping
- No metal detectors
Learn More – Visit online:
- “Uncovering Their History: African, African-American, and Native American Burials”
- “Carved in Stone: Historic Marker Inventory of the Ancient Burying Ground” Report [PDF]
- “The Maker of Markers: A Walking Tour of Colonial Stonecutter Art” brochure [PDF]
- “Soldiers of the American Revolutionary War, Ancient Burying Ground, Hartford, Connecticut” brochure [PDF]